• Both are security services that focus on identifying vulnerabilities in the network, server and system infrastructure; Vulnerability Assessment focuses on internal organizational security, while Penetration Testing focuses on external real-world risk.
• It's a rapid automated review of network devices, servers and systems to identify key vulnerabilities and configuration issues; it is generally conducted within the network on internal devices and its low cost enables firms to carry it out as often as every day.
• It's an in-depth expert-driven activity focused on identifying various possible routes an attacker could use to break into a specific network; it identifies the extent of damage and further internal compromise in case of a cyber intrusion.
• Executive Report comprising a high level overview of the activity conducted, summary of issues identified, risk ratings and action items. Technical Report containing a detailed report explaining each issue identified, step-by-step POCs for each issue, code and configuration examples to fix the issue and reference links for further details.
• Real-Time Online Dashboard with an online portal that allows internal teams to monitor the audit progress in real time, take immediate actions for high risk issues, track fixes and closure status, etc.
If you would like some sample Vulnerability Assessment & Penetration Testing (VAPT) reports, please get in touch with one of our VAPT Experts.
. Any and all devices with an IP address can be considered for a VAPT activity. Penetration Testing should focus on organization's external parameters (IP Addresses, Offices, People, etc) and Vulnerability Assessment should focus on internal infrastructure (servers, databases, switches, routers, desktops, firewalls, laptops, etc).
If you would like help with identifying the scope for your VAPT activity, please get in touch with one of our VAPT Experts and they would be happy to guide you through the process.
. Customer needs wherein clients mandate it as non negotiable, compliance needs where statutory obligations play a major role, security validation as a pre-emptive measure and as a critical best practice for organizational immunity from data theft.
. Banking, academics, healthcare, realty, manufacturing, e-commerce and government departments.
. Ideally right before the release of an Application and once in a quarter for periodic rectifications if any.
. It results in data theft, information mismanagement and bug infestation in case of sensitive Applications.
. Vulnerability Assessment & Penetration Testing (VAPT) are largely mandated across various industries and sectors. There are a wide-range of compliance standards that require such audits to be carried out periodically.
Some of the well-known standards are:
• ISO 27002 / ISO 27001
• PCI DSS – Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard
• HIPAA – Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
• TRAI – Telecom Regulatory Authority of India
• DOT – Department of Telecommunication
• CERT-In – Cyber Emergency Response Team of India
• FISMA – The Federal Information Security Management Act
If you would like more information on Vulnerability Assessment or Penetration Testing, Get in touch with one of our VAPT Experts.